The year has finally come to an end and boy what a year it has been! 2016 has been a year of struggle, growing pains, life lessons, but most of all growth. I’ve grown so much as a woman in this year. I handle problems better, I see things clearer, and I make better choices. What I learned in 2016 is….*Spongebob voice*
1. Your tribe determines your vibe: This quote basically sums up my 2016. The people that you surround yourself with really determines your vibe, the way you think, your outlook on life, plus more. In college, I had nothing but turn up friends. You know, those friends who could tell you where the party was, where the alcohol was, what the tea was, ect. As I got closer to graduation, I changed my circle and who I surrounded myself with. I started hanging and talking to people that had five year plans, organized long term and short term goals, positive energy, and encouraging conversations. Slowly but surely, I turned into a different person and I’m so happy I did. I still love my turn up friends, but I had to leave that alone to get my mind right.
2. You may lose friends and that’s perfectly okay: Lawddd this was the hardest thing for me to accept this year. It was so hard for me to be okay with losing friends while I was finding myself. The more and more I started to grow and evolve as a woman, the less and less I had in common with some of my closest friends. They wanted to talk about the mess and tea, I wanted to talk about moving and starting my career. They wanted to talk about where the loud pack was, I wanted to talk about life and other aspirations. Soon I noticed I stopped contributing to conversations and I even stopped being invited to things, and that’s okay.
3. Pay attention to the people who don’t clap when you win: You ever accomplish something so big in your life and you’re just waiting for your phone to blow up with “Congratulations friend!” texts and calls, but you get nothing? Been there. Please take note of the people who don’t show you love and support when you accomplish something big. After I did that interview for “This Morning with Phil and Holly”, I was waiting for people in my life to congratulate me. I got nothing. After I chilled with Kim at the Pablo show, I was waiting for the “YASS BITCH” texts. Nope. After I graduated from college, I just knew there would be hella people there to hug me. Only my family was there, which I am thankful for. This year, I started keeping note of the people that don’t support me when I win.
4. God laughs at us when we make plans: When the year started, I just knew I had everything planned out. I just knew during my last semester in college, I would start to get my life together then I would get this amazing email from someone on Kim’s team telling me they want to hire me fresh out of college. After that, I just knew that I would graduate from college and move to LA starting out making like $60/70k all at the age of 21. Needless to say, that didn’t work out. haha What I realized is that I need to slow my ass down and take life a step at a time. Rome wasn’t built in a day and Myleeza can’t take over the world in a year.
5. Everything does not deserve your energy: Toward the beginning of the year, I used to be in the middle of so much shit. I felt like I had to comment and put my two sense in EVERY conversation and conflict. My friend Reotta told me, “You don’t have to attend every argument you’re invited to.” After she said that, something just instantly clicked. Everything does not deserve your energy or attention. That shit will drain you so much to the point you are mentally exhausted and you need a nap. Be very selective choosing what you want to give your energy to. Your energy is sacred and not everyone deserves it. Protect your inner peace and euro step pass the BS like Rondo.
I hope everyone has a blessed and beautiful 2017! Feel free to use these 5 things in the new year. I promise it will help you tremendously!